Saturday, August 4, 2012

Raising a Cicada Nymph

I was given a Cicada Nymph which was thought to be a Periodic Cicada because of the red eyes. I was emailed some photos of this red-eyed Tibicen and thought it worth the trip a few towns over to pick it up. I would try to raise it until it eclosed. I took a series of photos to document the change from nymph to adult. On the second day after I received the nymph I realized its eyes had become dark. What happened to the red eyes?



I found out at a later date that some cicada have red eyes while living underground as nymphs but their eyes turn dark before emerging to eclose. This is something I never knew. 

After taking care of the nymph for two weeks it decided it was time to eclose. I provided some vertical sticks for the cicada to use for eclosion. I noticed one evening the cicada was wandering around the tank and had started to climb up on some wood I provided. I noticed the cicada had started eclosing with the first split in its shell. The cicada stayed at this stage for some time and I began to wonder "how long does this take"? Since this was the first time I had an experience with a cicada nymph I was kind of clueless. I found out later from a friend that the whole process should be done in an hour and two hours had already passed. Unfortunately the nymph, for what ever reason, died during the process and could not emerge from its shell...



No comments:

Post a Comment